Terms and Conditions
- Application Process
- Terms and Conditions
- Refund Policy
- Postponement Policy
- Cancellation Policy
- Termination Policy
- Website User Agreement
- Safeguarding Policy
- Modern Slavery Statement
- California State Disclosures
- Australia Policies
Please send the signed application form to your Kaplan representative that includes as a minimum the application fee and, if applicable, the courier fee. Students 18 and over (19 and over for students attending our Vancouver location) must sign the application form to say that they have read and agree with these terms and conditions. The parents or legal guardian of students under 18 (under 19 for students attending our Vancouver location) must read and also sign the application form on their behalf.
By signing and returning the application form the student is agreeing to enter into a binding contract with Kaplan. On Kaplan receiving the completed and signed application form and application fee, if the student’s program and accommodation are available, Kaplan will produce a booking confirmation. Once this booking confirmation has been issued, a legally binding contract based on these terms and conditions will be formed between the student and Kaplan subject to the student meeting all applicable immigration requirements.
Kaplan is subject to laws imposed by various jurisdictions on conducting business with sanctioned parties and countries. It is our policy to fully comply with applicable sanction restrictions, including those imposed by the United States, United Kingdom, and the European Union. While we are not prohibited from transacting with individuals with a connection to a sanctioned country, we need to ensure that no part of the transaction will be in contravention of US, UK or EU sanctions laws under a series of prescribed compliance checks, including verification as to source of funding and persons providing such funding, before any monies or services can be transacted.
2. Payment deadline
All program fees must be paid in full (unless otherwise notified) no later than 30 days before the program start date. If a booking is made less than 30 days before the program start date, the fees are immediately payable. If payment in full has not been received prior to your program start date, you will not be allowed to start your program. For some destinations, a deposit may be required (the “Program Deposit”). The Program Deposit is refundable in the circumstances permitted by our refund policy. See “Refund Policy” below for more information.
• USA: In the USA, the minimum length of enrolment is 1 week and the maximum length of enrolment (including any breaks in study while remaining in the US while enroled at Kaplan) may not exceed 36 months. You may not be charged more than 52 weeks (12 months) of tuition at any one time.
3. Visa information
Visa requirements are subject to change, and it is the responsibility of the student to arrange all applicable travel permits or visas and to have a valid passport and leave to remain for the whole period of study. The student may be asked to make payment in full prior to the issuing of any of the visa documentation referred to below. For under 18 students, completed documentation from a parent or guardian will be required before a student visa can be issued. Visas are not required for online only programs.
• UK: If your application is successful, we will provide you with an offer letter for a Visit Visa (6 months) or Short Term Study Visa (11 months). See the following website for further details: http://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration. Please note an STSV can only be used for the course and school on the initial visa application. The student cannot transfer to another provider during their stay in the UK.
New immigration rules were introduced in January 2021 after the UK left the EU. Students from the EU are now subject to post Brexit UK immigration rules, but can still travel to the UK with minimal immigration checks under the Visitor Route for short trips or study up to 6 months. To study for longer than 6 months, EU students must apply for a Short-Term Study Visa (STSV).
• IRELAND: We will provide you with an invitation letter to assist you with your visa application.
• USA: Our schools are authorized under Federal law to enrol non-immigrant students. After your application is received, Kaplan will request proof of funds verifying ability to pay for the entire enrolment in the US, which is required for Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility issuance.
• CANADA: Our schools have Designated Learning Institution (DLI) status with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). We will provide you with an invitation letter to assist you with your visa application, if applicable.
4. Courier fees
A courier service is available on request at the rates below:
- UK: GBP35
- Ireland: EUR55
- Canada: CAD80
- USA: USD80
5. Travel and medical insurance
Travel and medical insurance is mandatory in most Kaplan school destinations for the duration of your stay regardless of your program length or program/visa type. Kaplan has worked in partnership with a number of partners to create a tailored travel and medical insurance plan. Details of what this covers are available from your Kaplan representative. You are responsible for the belongings which you bring with you to Kaplan schools or accommodation and for taking out insurance for your own possessions. You are required to show proof of medical insurance at the school when you arrive with the sole exception of our online programs. This policy must be presented in English in New Zealand. If insurance is required, you will not be allowed to commence a program until you have obtained satisfactory medical insurance. All non-EU students studying in Ireland will also have to register with GNIB within 30 days of arrival.
6. Health declaration
Students must report on their application form any: i) mental or physical illness; ii) allergy; iii) disability; or iv) condition, that:
- may interfere with their ability to successfully complete their program;
- may impact the health and well-being of any other student, host or staff member;
- may require monitoring, treatment or emergency intervention of any kind during the student’s anticipated period of enrolment; or
- may require special accommodation.
Kaplan reserves the right to reject an applicant or terminate a student’s enrolment in the program if the student’s continued participation represents a risk to their health and safety or to the health and safety of other students or staff, or if, notwithstanding reasonable accommodations, in the opinion of Kaplan, the student’s physical or mental condition makes the student unable or unlikely to successfully complete their program. Refunds in such circumstances are at the discretion of Kaplan.
7. Tuition fees
Tuition fees include lessons, orientation meeting, use of computer room and internet at school, placement and progress testing and a Kaplan certificate on completion of the program. Kaplan reserves the right to withhold the granting of a certificate attained by a student if tuition fees remain outstanding, or other conditions notified to the student are not met.
8. Additional services
Any additional services (include but not limited to transfers, travel, laundry, telephone costs, excursions, medical costs, special diet, exam fees, change of accommodation, enrolment, amendments and materials fees) are not included in any tuition fees unless specifically stated on a valid invoice.
9. Twin accommodation
At Kaplan’s discretion, students may be required to book single room accommodation instead of twin room accommodation.
10. Under 18 year olds
The minimum age for participation in a Kaplan program is 16, unless a student is enroled on a designated junior program or written authorization has been obtained by the relevant School Director. Kaplan delivers adult programs (except for programs advertised as being for juniors or young learners). Therefore, students aged 16 and 17 are advised that they will be attending classes with students aged 18 and over. Under 18 year olds may be required to pay a guardian fee, provide custodianship documents, live in Kaplan- approved accommodation, book Kaplan’s airport transfer service both ways, and purchase a medical insurance policy. All students under 18 (under 19 for students attending our Vancouver location) must provide a signed Minor Authorisation form prior to arrival, and in Canada, students may need to provide a notarized Custodianship Declaration.
• UK/IRELAND: The British and Irish governments require all students under 18 to submit a Waiver form and an Authorisation of Emergency Medical Treatment form which will be provided at the time of booking. All students under 18 must have travel and medical insurance in place for the duration of their program. You are required to show proof of medical insurance at the school when you arrive. Parents/Guardians of under 18 students are required to sign the under 18 parental consent forms and other documents prior to arrival in the UK. You will not be allowed to commence a program until you have obtained satisfactory medical insurance.
Terms and Conditions
1. Rules and regulations
Students’ arrangements with Kaplan are governed by the law of the country where the particular school attended is located.
2. Arrivals and departures
All accommodation is booked from the Saturday or Sunday before the program start date until the Saturday morning after the program end date, unless otherwise advised. A partial week may be counted as 1 week’s accommodation. Check-in time for most accommodation is 14:00 and check-out time is 10:00 unless special arrangements have been made with the accommodation provider or an alternative check-in/check-out time is noted in the accommodation fact file. Students arriving between 22:30 – 06:00 may be asked to book alternative accommodation in a hotel on their first night due to late/early arrival at accommodation, or be charged an extra night of accommodation.
3. Late arrivals, vacations and absences
If you begin your enrolment late or are absent during your program, we will make every effort to ensure you are able to complete the full period of enrolment but this cannot always be guaranteed and no refund will be made for the time missed. Periods of absence cannot be made up with a free extension of the program unless the leave of absence has been authorized by Kaplan. Session Break dates are pre-built into the Academic Year and Academic Semester programs and students cannot make changes to these dates. Unapproved breaks taken at other times will be marked as periods of absence. For other programs, granting of any Session Breaks after the program has started will be at the discretion of individual schools, according to visa regulations, and may incur a change fee or be marked as a period of absence depending on location. In the UK, Students are entitled to 1 week’s holiday for every 10 weeks that they study. For approved absences in the USA or Canada (e.g. Leave of Absence or Session Break) after you have started your program, the unused tuition weeks will be added to the end of the program. In the USA or Canada, if the student is absent for 3 consecutive school days, the student’s emergency contact, Kaplan representative or sponsor will be contacted to determine their safety and welfare; if the student is a minor, the authorities may be contacted as well. If the student is absent for 14 consecutive days without notice, the program will be terminated. Normal termination refund terms and conditions shall apply.
4. Meals and classes missed
No refunds or substitutions will be made for meals or classes missed due to public holidays, exams, excursions, internships (if applicable), first day orientation or other obligations that fall outside the normal schedule.
5. Public holidays
Classes are normally not held and most school facilities are closed on public holidays. All published program start dates fall on a Monday. If the Monday is a public holiday, the start date will fall on a Tuesday. Compensation will not be made for classes not offered on public holidays. Find list of public holidays here.
6. Campus facilities
Students attending a Kaplan school at a university or college campus location are advised that campus facilities (e.g. gym, cafeteria) may not be available during campus holidays. Further details are available from the Kaplan booking office.
7. Change fees
Any changes required by a student must be requested with the relevant period of notice set out below:
Minimum notice for changes before program commencement (no charge):
- UK & Ireland: 4 weeks’ notice
- USA: 4 weeks’ notice
Fees for changes post program commencement or requested outside the notice periods above.
For change of school location, program dates, accommodation or program type:
- UK: GBP 65
- Ireland: EUR 90
- USA: USD 100 change fee only applicable for accommodation changes
- Canada: CAD 100 change fee only applicable for accommodation changes
Kaplan is not obliged to fulfil any change request. Academic Year or Academic Semester students cannot transfer to a different Kaplan school during term time. If changing to a location (or changing program) where fees are lower, the difference in fees will not be refunded. If changing to a more expensive location or program, the difference in fees will be charged. All changes are subject to Kaplan’s discretion and require approval of the School Principal / Director. You will not be charged a change fee if you extend your program, but late homestay extensions may require a re-placement fee. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for any program or accommodation extensions. Any change of tuition resulting in a reduction in lessons will be treated as a termination of the existing booking and rebooking, and will thus be subject to the standard terms & conditions governing terminations (see ‘Termination Policy’).
8. Duration of lessons
All English lessons are 45 minutes in duration unless otherwise stated. Programs run from Monday to Friday and lessons are scheduled in the morning or the afternoon. Kaplan cannot guarantee a specific timetable.
9. Substitution policy
If, after the placement test taken on arrival at the school, a student is found to be at a level which is not appropriate for their booked program, the school reserves the right to place the student in an appropriate level class, which may have fewer lessons and a different curriculum. Students who do not have the ability to follow any program on offer may be required to terminate their studies with Kaplan. We also reserve the right to cancel programs at short notice due to insufficient demand.
10. Program changes
Kaplan has the right to change accommodation options, program dates, program curricula, instructors, locations and programs at any time at its discretion. However, in cases where the program is rescheduled prior to the start date of the original program and the new date is unacceptable to the student, all fees will be refunded.
Kaplan may change prices due to tax increases, governmental actions, or any other event or circumstance beyond Kaplan’s reasonable control or circumstances that may affect the operations of the business. Prices are valid for programs starting in 2022.
12. Books and learning materials
All books and learning materials will be made available to students during their program. Some specialized programs may require the purchase of books. In Canada a materials fee is charged to students to cover the cost of learning items. In Vancouver, other avenues to access required materials may be available such as purchasing from an alternative source (if possible). Students will need to show proof they have procured the materials in these cases in order for the materials fee to be waived.
13. Residential housing deposit
A refundable housing deposit may be charged on arrival to students taking residential accommodation in the regions specified below:
- UK – GBP 250
- Ireland – EUR 350
- USA – USD 500
- Canada – CAD 600
Please note, deposit fees vary by school location; students will be informed at the time of booking should additional fees apply (e.g. utilities, cleaning and linen). The deposit shall be non-refundable in the event of any damage or loss or extra cleaning caused by the student or a guest of the student. Where a booking is cancelled the deposit may be non-refundable, please refer to the Cancellation Policy below.
A student who may be expelled or suspended where a student:
- commits a criminal offence;
- violates the student code of conduct or school policy;
- has, in Kaplan’s opinion, a poor attendance record (e.g. less than 80%, whether or not such attendance is in breach of any visa attendance requirements);
- for programs in the USA & Canada: is absent for 14 consecutive days without notification;
- fails to pay an amount they are directly or indirectly liable to pay Kaplan in order to undertake the program.
In the event of a student’s expulsion or suspension, no refund will be given (except for students attending our USA and Canada locations, see below) and the immigration authorities will be informed.
The student will be provided with written notice of expulsion, with a maximum of 7 calendar days to provide documentation to support reversal of the decision, if appropriate. Any refund, if applicable, will be based on the last date of attendance and will be calculated according to our termination refund policies below.
If a student is expelled:
- before 10% of the instructional hours have been provided, 70% of the remaining tuition will be refunded.
- after 10% but before 30% of the instructional hours have been provided, 50% of the remaining tuition will be refunded.
- after 30% of the instructional hours have been provided, there will be no refund.
Student Code of Conduct:
You agree to abide by the student conduct rules and other policies while attending Kaplan. As part of Kaplan’s commitment to our students’ success, we seek to provide an optimal learning environment and expect students to conduct themselves in a manner that is considerate of those around them. Inappropriate conduct includes but is not limited to:
- disruptions to the learning environment (i.e. use of profanity, harassment, mobile phone use in classrooms, etc.);
- deliberate destruction, misuse, or theft of Kaplan property or the property of fellow classmates;
- serious or continuous breaches of any rules relating to the use of Kaplan accommodation;
- violence or threats of violence towards persons or property of students or Kaplan staff;
- improper use of email or Internet access;
- failure to comply with local copyright or criminal laws forbidding the misappropriation, copying or alteration of copyright-protected materials;
- failure to disclose medical/mental health pre-existing conditions.
To the extent permitted by law, the liability of Kaplan, its group companies, their directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents and partners with respect to losses arising from negligence, breach of contract or otherwise will be limited in all circumstances to the full amount paid to Kaplan or the relevant Kaplan group company by the relevant student for the specific program attended by the student. Such companies and persons will in no circumstances have any liability for indirect or consequential losses or damages.
16. Force majeure
Kaplan shall not be in breach of this agreement nor liable for delay in performing, or failure to perform, any of its obligations under this agreement if such delay or failure result from events, circumstances or causes beyond its reasonable control, including but not limited to: re,; natural disaster; acts of government; failure of suppliers or sub-contractors; labour disputes or civil unrest; criminal, terrorist or threatened terrorist activities of any kind; pandemics and other public health emergencies; any negligent or wilful act or failure to act by any third party; or any other cause beyond the direct control of Kaplan (each a “Force Majeure Event”).
Where any program is cancelled by Kaplan as a result of a Force Majeure Event, it is acknowledged that:
- Kaplan has the right to retain a pro-rated amount of any fees paid where services have been partially provided. Any fees retained will be proportionate to the services provided;
- Kaplan shall be entitled to deduct any irrecoverable fees it suffers from the amount of any refund, for example cancellation fees, non-refundable accommodation fees, or similar;
- Kaplan shall have the right to provide a substitute program to the cancelled program, including online and virtual programs; and
- Any third party services procured by Kaplan on behalf of the student, including but not limited to accommodation, transfers or insurance shall remain subject to the terms of the respective provider’s terms and Kaplan shall not be liable for such third party services or any act or omission of such third party.
17. Photography, filming and sound recording
Kaplan or its representatives may arrange to photograph or shoot video footage of students for promotional purposes, both printed and online. Any student who does not wish to participate should advise us at the time of booking and state at the time of the photographing or video shooting their wish not to participate. By accepting these terms and conditions the student (and their parent/ guardian if under 18 (19 in respect of Vancouver only) gives consent to the use of these photographs or video footage for promotional purposes without the need for further consent or notification.
18. Student visa
Student visa holders are required to provide Kaplan with a current residential address, mobile number (if any) and email address (if any), and advise Kaplan of any changes to those details within 7 days of the change. In the UK students must attend a minimum of 15 hours face to face teaching per week. Attendance is taken at every class and students with less than 80% attendance could be reported to the UKVI. Students who fail to show up for their enrolment or with less than 80% attendance (in USA or Canada), 85% (in Ireland) or who miss ten days of study (UK) may be reported to the UK Visas & Immigration in the UK; the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in the USA; Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in Canada;; or to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service in Ireland. Regardless of immigration status, information collected by Kaplan which personally identifies a student and information regarding a student’s program progress may be shared with the British government, the Department of Homeland Security, state and accrediting agencies (USA), Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, provincial and accrediting agencies (Canada), designated authorities, the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (Ireland), a student's parents, Kaplan staff and third- party representatives (i.e. agents and/ or government sponsors) and law enforcement officials. This information may include personal and contact details, program enrolment details and changes, and circumstances of any suspected breach by the student of any visa condition.
19. Language of instruction
All language of instruction shall be in either English, French or German, dependent on the chosen language program.
20. Guaranteed progress
Guaranteed progress is available for Intensive English bookings of 10 weeks or more and includes Intensive Academic Year and Intensive Academic Semester programs. It is not available on Intensive Business English, any exam preparation programs or to any student who is assessed as being at an advanced level or higher. Guaranteed progress is available at all KIL locations in the US, Canada, UK and Ireland. Students who fail to achieve their predicted level (as assessed on arrival) by the end of their enroled program may be given free tuition for an additional 4 weeks (‘Extension Weeks’).
To qualify for the Extension Weeks, students must:
- have a minimum of 95% attendance;
- complete all homework assignments; and
- not display any behavioural issues (including, but not limited to, the use of mobile phones in class), or conduct themselves in any other manner that would negatively impact on the learning process.
The student will be responsible for housing and flight changes necessary for the Extension Weeks. The Extension Weeks are conditional on the student possessing a valid visa and may only be taken at the end of the student’s original program and may not be deferred. Students who do not undertake the Extension Weeks at the end of their original program and wish to receive the extra 4 weeks of tuition must contact their Director of Studies or Academic Manager at least 1 week prior to their departure.
1. Payment of refunds
The account from which payment was originally received.
To ensure compliance with all applicable laws relating to the prevention of financial crime, refunds will be only be made to:
(a) The original payer; and
(b) The account from which payment was originally received.
2. Non-Refundable Fees
The following Service fees (related to tuition) are non-refundable in respect of any bookings:
- Application Fees;
- Courier Fees;
- Medical Insurance;
- Campus Fees;
- Accommodation Placement Fees;
- Program Supplement Fees;
- Airport Transfer Fees;
- Materials Fees;
- Program Deposit (except as noted below)
In the event of Kaplan cancelling or terminating a program, a full refund of all unused fees will be made. Tuition fees are non-transferable to other students. No tuition fees are refundable on program extensions.
In all cases where a student terminates their studies the relevant immigration authorities will be informed.
• UK AND IRELAND: Refunds will be made within 45 days of Kaplan's written notification of cancellation. In the case of a visa refusal for bookings to Ireland, ILEP criteria states the maximum time limit of 20 working days for processing refunds.
• USA: Refunds will be made within 45 days of the Date of Determination.
• CANADA: Kaplan will pay the tuition or fee refund within 30 days after receiving notice of withdrawal or refusal of study permit; providing a notice of dismissal, or the date on which the first 30% of the hours of instruction are provided (no-show).
(a) Postponements will only be made on receipt of a valid written customer request.
(b) Bookings may be postponed a maximum of two times within one year of the original booking date.
(c) Bookings may only be postponed by up to 6 months at a time.
(d) You may be rebooked at the rates currently in effect at the time of rebooking.
(e) Only one tuition promotion may be used at any time; any previously expired promotions will no longer be valid at the time of postponement; a current promotion, valid at the time of postponement, may be applied.
(f) Any additional incurred actual costs for accommodation postponements, regardless of notice provided, will also be charged.
(g) In all cases where a visa or visa support documentation has been issued, the relevant immigration authorities will be informed.
(h) Postponements made less than 7 days before the arrival date on the booking confirmation form, including failure to show up, will incur a fee of one week’s accommodation and a tuition fee as set out below:
- UK: GBP 100
- Ireland: EUR 150
- USA: USD 200
- Canada: CAN 200
‘Cancellation’ means the student cancelling a program before the start date of the first program the student is attending and for which attendance is required.
‘Service Fees’ for the purposes of this Cancellation Policy means any Application Fees, Courier Fees, Medical Insurance, Campus Fees, Accommodation Placement Fees, Program Supplement Fees, Airport Transfer Fees, Materials Fees, bank charges and any other service charges as applicable.
Note: in all cases, regardless of the region in which the Kaplan school is based:
(a) where visa or visa support documentation has been issued, the relevant immigration authorities will be informed; and
(b) for accommodation cancellations, regardless of notice provided, will also be charged to the student.
STANDARD CANCELLATION POLICY
This Standard Cancellation Policy shall apply except where varied by the specific provisions below.
- Written cancellation notice provided 90 days or more prior to the arrival date listed on the Booking confirmation form; or on written notification of a visa rejection and receipt of supporting documentation: you shall be refunded 100% of the tuition and accommodation fee. Service Fees shall be non-refundable.
- Written cancellation notice provided between 8 days to 90 days prior to the arrival date listed on the Booking confirmation form: you shall be refunded 100% of the tuition and accommodation fee. Service Fees and the Program Deposit shall be non-refundable.
- Written cancellation notice provided less than 7 days before the arrival date listed on the booking confirmation form, including failure to show up: you shall be refunded tuition and accommodation fees less the amounts set out below:
(a) Tuition fee deduction: UK GBP 100, Ireland EUR 150, Canada (Toronto only) CAD 200
(b) 1 week’s accommodation fee
Service Fees, the Program Deposit and medical insurance charges shall be non-refundable.
VANCOUVER, CANADA CANCELLATION POLICY
Before the program start date, if Kaplan receives written notice of withdrawal (“Cancellation”), refunds will be applied as follows:
No later than seven days after student signed the enrolment contract (i.e., the date on the Letter of Acceptance or Booking Confirmation Form issued by Kaplan) and before the program start date:
- 100% tuition and all related fees, other than application fee.
- Related fees include administrative fees, application fees, assessment fees, and fees charged for textbooks or other course materials
At least 30 days before the later of:
a) The program start date in the most recent Letter of Acceptance (international students) or
b) The program start date in the enrolment contract:
- Kaplan will retain 10% of tuition, to a maximum of $1,000
- Kaplan will refund fees paid for course materials if not provided to the student
More than seven days after the student and institution signed the enrolment contract (i.e., the date on the Letter of Acceptance or Booking Confirmation Form issued by Kaplan) and less than 30 days before the later of:
a) The program start date in the most recent Letter of Acceptance
b) The program start date in the enrolment contract
- Kaplan will retain 20% of tuition, to a maximum of $1,300
- Kaplan will refund fees paid for course materials if not provided to the student
Note: Any incurred actual costs for accommodation cancellations, regardless of notice provided, will also be charged.
USA CANCELLATION POLICY
- Cancellation notice provided prior to program start date and prior to arrival in the USA: you shall be refunded 100% of the tuition and accommodation fee. Service Fees are non-refundable up to a maximum of USD500.
- Cancellation notice received prior to program start date but after arrival in the USA on a Kaplan issued Form I-20; or cancellation made prior to the program start date but after Change of Status has been approved by USCIS on Kaplan-issued Form I-20: you shall be liable for the following charges:
i) tuition and associated accommodation fees, equal to the first 4 weeks for programs 1-11 weeks in duration; or
ii) tuition and associated accommodation fees, equal to the first 6 weeks for programs 12 weeks or longer.
UK & IRELAND CANCELLATION POLICY
• ‘Distance Contract' means a distance contract or an off-premises contract as denied in the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 (as amended from time to time).
In the event of a Distance Contract, students for the UK or Ireland who are EU citizens shall have the right to cancel the legally binding contract formed in accordance with paragraph 1 of these Terms and Conditions if the student gives notice of cancellation to Kaplan within the fourteen (14) calendar day period beginning on the day on which the booking confirmation was issued by Kaplan.
- If a student exercises their right to cancel during this fourteen (14) day period, they will receive a full refund of all amounts already paid by the student less any fees charged for services already performed by Kaplan.
- If the student has already commenced studying with Kaplan during the fourteen (14) day period, they must pay a reasonable charge calculated by Kaplan for the period of study undertaken. To exercise the right to cancel under the EU distance contract terms, the student must inform Kaplan at 2nd floor, 184 Shepherd's Bush Road, Hammersmith, London, W6 7NL, UK of the student's decision to cancel this agreement by a clear statement (e.g. by a letter sent by post, fax or e-mail).
• UK Visa students: once a CAS number has been issued confirming full time status, no refunds or program cancellations are permissible other than in the instance of visa refusal and subject to meeting the following criteria:
- the amounts paid will be refunded, less an administration charge of GBP150 (incl. VAT) (plus any courier and transfer charges) on production of the following documents:
(a) an agent certified copy of the visa refusal letter (GV51);
(b) an agent certified copy of the student’s passport showing both a photograph and signature;
(c) where the payor was not the student, an original authority letter from the student authorising the repayment to the payor; and (d) where the student is already in the UK, evidence satisfactory to Kaplan that the student has left the UK.
- Refunds will only be made under this paragraph if requested in writing with the necessary supporting documents within 4 weeks after the commencement of the program (published date).
In circumstances where an application is refused by UKVI on the grounds of fraudulent documentation or other irregularities, no refunds will be granted in respect of monies paid. Where students are studying on a Short-term study visa (6 or 11 months), Kaplan's Standard Cancellation Policy will apply.
‘Termination’ means stopping or leaving all or part of the program or programs booked, or reduction in weekly lessons, including extensions, once the first program has started (in the USA and Canada, this applies to the current period of enrolment only).
When determining the number of weeks completed, a partial week will be counted as a whole week, provided the student was present at least one day during the scheduled week. Used weeks of discounted tuition and accommodation packages will be charged at the full brochure weekly rate when any refund is calculated (except for students attending our Vancouver location).
In all cases additional service charges (e.g. airport transfers, courier fees, application fees, medical insurance, accommodation placement fee, program supplement fee, etc.) are non-refundable and written notification of termination must be given to the School Principal/Director (written notice not required in the USA). Students who terminate their program may not be eligible to receive a Kaplan certificate and will not be allowed to stay in Kaplan accommodation.
• UK AND IRELAND
Students wishing to terminate must give 4 weeks' written notice to the School Director. No refunds will be made for tuition. Tuition fees are non-transferable to other students.
Students wishing to terminate must give 4-weeks’ written notice to the School Director (not required in Vancouver where the notice of cancellation or termination (e.g., withdrawal or dismissal) is effective the date it is delivered). The refund will be calculated as below according to the percentage of the program (“weeks” for students attending our Toronto school and “instructional hours” for students attending our Vancouver school) completed, including any applicable notice period:
- If up to 10% of the program has been completed: 50% refund (70% for students attending our Vancouver location) of unused tuition fees;
- If 11-30% of the program has been completed: 30% (50% for students attending our Vancouver location) refund of unused tuition fees, or;
- If more than 30% of the program has completed: 0% refund of unused tuition fees
Kaplan will refund fees paid for course materials if not provided to the student. In all cases where a student terminates their studies, the relevant immigration authorities will be informed.
Student does not attend the first 30% of the program:
- Kaplan will retain 50% of tuition
- Kaplan will refund fees paid for course materials if not provided to the student
Refusal of Study Permit
Before 30% of instruction hours would have been provided, had the student started the program on the later of the following:
- The program start date in the most recent Letter of Acceptance
- The program start date in the enrolment contract (i.e., the date on the Letter of Acceptance or Booking Confirmation Form issued by Kaplan) and
- Student has not requested additional Letter(s) of Acceptance.
Kaplan will refund 100% tuition and all related fees, other than application fee.
Student enrolled in a program without having met the admission requirements for the program
- If the student did not misrepresent the student’s knowledge or skills when applying for admission and the registrar orders the institution to refund tuition and fees:
- Kaplan will refund 100% tuition and all related fees, including application fees
Initial Period of Enrollment
Refunds will be calculated for terminations (i.e., the last date you are enrolled on the program and for which attendance is required) made during the initial period of enrollment as follows:
any time during the 1st four weeks: 4-weeks’ tuition shall be charged (weekly tuition price will be pro-rated based on current pricing) and all remaining unused tuition shall be refunded;
after the 4th week and up to halfway through the current period of enrollment: all remaining unused tuition shall be refunded (weekly tuition price will be recalculated based on weeks used and prorated based on current pricing); or
after more than 50% of the current period of enrollment has been completed: no refund shall be given.
Subsequent Periods of Enrollment (“Extension”)
For students who have completed their first period of enrollment and who withdraw before or during a subsequent period of enrollment (e.g., extension period), refunds will be calculated for termination as follows:
before an Extension has commenced: all tuition fees shall be refunded;
before more than 50% of the Extension has been completed: all remaining tuition fees shall be refunded (weekly tuition price will be recalculated based on weeks used and prorated based on current pricing); or
after more than 50% of the Extension has been completed: no refund shall be given
• UK, IRELAND, USA AND CANADA
In order to terminate their accommodation contract, students must give at least 4 weeks’ notice in writing to the School Principal/Director. The student acknowledges that some hostels and apartments require more notice and may charge a higher cancellation fee - where this is the case it will be notified to the student.
At least 8 weeks’ written notice will be required for terminating discounted accommodation packages. Such notice should be sent to the School Principal/Director.
A refund will be made of the unused accommodation fee less the applicable notice period and the applicable change fee. Refunds will be calculated based on the total accommodation weeks booked, including periods of extension. Used weeks of discounted accommodation packages will be charged at the full brochure weekly rate when any refund is calculated.
For accommodation terminations made after 50% of the total accommodation booking length has been completed, no refund will be given, except in Canada . Some residential options may have additional terms and conditions relating to reservation cancellation, including minimum notice period; these will be included in any refund calculation.
These Terms and Conditions may differ according to any changes in the policy made by the accrediting body or government (local or national) where the school is located. You will be notified at the time of booking of any such amendments. Any dispute, claim or other matter arising will be subject to the current laws in the destination country (or state or province). In these Terms and Conditions, Kaplan refers to all Kaplan International Languages group schools. If you progress to study at one of our Pathway Partners separate terms and conditions will apply. These terms and conditions only apply to your study with Kaplan International Languages.
For Alpadia Language Schools' Terms and Conditions visit http://www.alpadia.com/en/about-us/terms-and-conditions.htm
We work hard to ensure that you receive the level of service that you require. However, there may be times when you are not completely happy with the level of service that you receive. All of the staff at Kaplan International English are available for you to talk to if you have any concerns and we promise to respond to your questions within 24 hours. If you are unhappy or dissatisfied with the service we provide, please follow the steps listed below in order to seek a solution to the problem.
Teaching: If you have concerns or worries about your class or learning please talk to your teacher first. After talking to your teacher, if you are still unhappy, please speak to the Senior Teacher or Director of Studies.
Accommodation: If you have concerns regarding the accommodation service we provide then please talk to the Accommodation and Welfare Manager.
Administration: If you are unhappy with the way your course has been administered e.g. payments, dates, then please speak to the Student Services Manager.
If you are not happy with the answer provided by these staff members, then please raise your concerns with the Principal.
If you are still not satisfied with our responses, then you may wish to raise your complaint with the professional organisation, English UK. The contact details are:
Registered Office Address
219 St John Street
London EC1V 4LY
Tel: 020 78029200
Fax: 020 78029201
Email: [email protected]
Website User Agreement
This website is owned and operated by Aspect Education UK Ltd. (Company No. 4053877. Registered in the UK. VAT Number: 152088224), whose registered office is at 184 Shepherd's Bush Road, Hammersmith, London, W6 7NL.
For the purposes of these Website Terms and Conditions "We", "Our" and "Us" refers to Kaplan, a division of Kaplan, Inc. Please review these Terms and Conditions carefully before using this website. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
All trade marks, copyright, database rights and other intellectual property rights in the materials on this website (as well as the organization and layout of this website) together with the underlying software code are owned either directly by us or by our licensors. Without our prior written permission, you may not copy, modify, alter, publish, broadcast, distribute, sell or transfer any material on this website or the underlying software code whether in whole or in part. However, the contents of this website may be downloaded, printed or copied for your personal non-commercial use.
You may only use this website in accordance with these Terms and Conditions and, in any event, for lawful and proper purposes which includes complying with all applicable laws, regulations and codes of practice within the UK or other jurisdiction from which you are accessing this website.
In particular, you agree that you will not: post, transmit or disseminate any information on or via this website which is or may be harmful, obscene, defamatory or otherwise illegal; use this website in a manner which causes or may cause an infringement of the rights of any other; make any unauthorized, false or fraudulent booking; use any software, routine or device to interfere or attempt to interfere electronically or manually with the operation or functionality of this website including but not limited to uploading or making available files containing corrupt data or viruses via whatever means; deface, alter or interfere with the front end "look and feel" of this website or the underlying software code; take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on this website or related infrastructure; obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorized access, via whatever means, to any of our networks. Without prejudice to any of our other rights (whether at law or otherwise), we reserve the right to: cancel your bookings without reference to you; and/or deny you access to this website where we believe (in our absolute discretion) that you are in breach of any of these Terms and Conditions.
Changes to the Website
We may make improvements or changes to the information, services, products and other materials on this website, or terminate this website, at any time without notice. We may also modify these Terms and Conditions at any time, and such modification shall be effective immediately upon posting of the modified Terms and Conditions on this website. Accordingly, your continued access or use of this website is deemed to be your acceptance of the modified Terms and Conditions.
Links to other Websites
This website may include links to other internet sites. We do not endorse any such websites and we are not responsible for the information, material, products or services contained on or accessible through those websites. Your access and use of such websites remains solely at your own risk.
You may only link to this website with our express written permission. We expressly reserve the right to withdraw our consent at any time to a link which in our sole opinion is inappropriate or controversial.
Limitation of Liability
In no event will we be liable for any direct, indirect, special, punitive, exemplary or consequential losses or damages of whatsoever kind arising out of access to, or the use of this website or any information contained in it, including loss of profit and the like whether or not in the contemplation of the parties, whether based on breach of contract, tort (including negligence), product liability or otherwise, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation.
Disclaimer of Warranty
To the maximum extent permitted by law, we disclaim all implied warranties with regard to the information, services and materials contained on this website. All such information, services and materials are provided "as is" and "as available" without warranty of any kind.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold us harmless from any liability, loss, claim and expense (including reasonable legal fees) related to your breach of these Terms and Conditions.
Booking Terms and Conditions
These Website Terms and Conditions refer only to your use of this website and separate conditions apply to our online bookings. Our online booking terms and conditions can be viewed above: Terms and Conditions.
These Terms and Conditions contain all the terms of your agreement with us relating to your use of this website. No other written or oral statement (including statements in any brochure or promotional literature published by us) will be incorporated.
Kaplan makes no warranty whatsoever for the reliability, stability or any virus-free nature of any software being downloaded from this website, nor for the availability of the download sites where applicable.
All software products downloaded from any section of this website or via a link pointed to by this website are downloaded, installed, and used totally and entirely at the users own risk.
Your use of this website, any downloaded material from it and the operation of these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by, construed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts. We reserve the right to bring proceedings in the Courts of the country of your residence.
Throughout this website the terms "partner(s)" and "partnership(s)" are used to refer to individual marketing or co-operation agreements and not to any relationship which has specific legal or tax implications. Kaplan cannot therefore accept any liability for the conduct of these partner organizations.
KIE have a Safeguarding Policy, available for all staff, hosts and parents that comprehensively details how we are committed to safeguarding students.
Modern Slavery Statement
KIE have a Modern Slavery statement which outlines Kaplan’s standards to ensure that all employees are treated with respect and dignity, are working under their own free will, and are being properly compensated for their effort. Kaplan is committed to the social and environmental responsibility and has zero tolerance for slavery and human trafficking.
California State Disclosures
Effective March 14, 2022, Kaplan International schools in California are exempt from regulation under the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009. We have met the qualifications for exemption from regulation under the Act, pursuant to California Educational Code (CEC) section 94874(a).
- Australia – Admissions and Enrolments Policy
- Australia – Assessment Policy
- Australia – Certificate Issuance Policy
- Australia – Completion Within Expected Course Duration Policy
- Australia – Course Attendance Monitoring and Intervention Policy
- Australia – Course Progress Monitoring and Intervention Policy
- Australia – Course Review and Evaluation Policy
- Australia – Deferral, Suspension and Cancellation Policy
- Australia – Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Policy
- Australia – Grievances, Complaints and Appeals Policy
- Australia – International Student Transfer Policy
- Australia – Learning Facilities and Resources Policy
- Australia – Management of International Students Policy
- Australia – Marketing Policy
- Australia – Refund Policy
- Australia – Staff Recruitment and Professional Development
- Australia – Statement of Tuition Assurance and Tuition Protection Service
- Australia – Under 18 Policy
- Australia – Validation and Moderation Policy
- Australia – Agent List
- Australia – Copyright Policy
- Australia – Critical Incident Policy
- Australia – Electronic Media Policy
- Australia – Incident and hazard report
- Australia – Online Content, Recording, Storage and Use Policy
- Australia – Prevention of Harassment and Bullying Policy
- Australia – Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Response Policy
- Australia – WHS Policy